Friday, June 22, 2007

How well should you know each other ?

We went out for dinner with Pete and a buddy of his a couple of nights ago. Pakistani food. Although it was nice, I ended up downing a whole jug of water, a mango Lassi and a can of apple cider. (I'm not exaggerating).

I felt like I had set my tongue on fire.

As I was quite obviously struggling with the current cuisine, his friend asked him what type of food I liked. Pete looked at me and asked, "Type of food..errm.. she doesn't have a favorite food"

"How can I not have a favorite food ?!?!"

"Everyone has a favorite food... Com'on Pete... don't tell her you don't know", taunted his friend, who was obviously doing his best to add fuel to the fire.

"I have different favorite ones for different occasions as well... I know your favorite foods. I know what type of food you can eat everyday and which one is your favorite".

*pause of silence**

"The food you can eat everyday is Chicken rice, your favorite food is Masala Dosa... what is mine?"

"Japanese"

"Oh man, you have to do better than that. She atleast pointed out a specific type of meal", his friend pointed out, determined to brew this for as long as he can.

"Do I really have to answer this now ?"

"Atleast take a guess.... Humour me .. ok ?"

"A six pack says I can guess her favorite food before you....Can you start us off with a hint ? What cuisine ?", asked his now-soon-to-be-ex-friend.

"Well.. its not Japanese.... its Italian"

"Fettucine" Came Pete's first guess.

"Wrong.. and by the way, thats your favorite pasta".

Lasagna, was his friend's guess and it was correct. Since his friend got it on his first guess, I gave Pete another chance and asked what was the type of food I wouldn't mind eating everyday. His friend guessed that one before him as well. Its Sushi.

Score ?
Pete - 0
Pete's now-ex-friend - 2

Which brings up the question, how well should you know each other ? I haven't given this much thought before. But that dinner conversation, certainly proved that my other half wasn't very observant at all. I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't care, because I know he does. But I also didn't want to go and ask what was my favorite colour is. I had a strong feeling he wouldn't know that one either. But I know his.

Maybe its a good thing I can read him as easily as an open book, and not vice versa. But then why am I getting the feeling that its just not quite right ?

No comments: