Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Train Etiquette

Every morning I take the train to work. Its not too bad considering it is only a 25 minute trip. But some of the behaviour of people on the train never ceases to amaze me.

But today's was extremely bad .. so I really need to bitch about it to get it out of my system.

I'm not sure about the trains in the rest of the world but Sydney's cityrail trains are designed so that there are handrail-type poles for people to hang on to (as it's a pretty bumpy ride). This vertical handrail pole is smack right in the middle of the standing carriage where the train doors are (and there is only one). But SOME people just don't care about other people. They think they own the pole and its not to be shared.

So this morning I was equiped with my usual bag and laptop and as soon as I got into the morning train (sardine-packed as usual...therefore impossible to find a seat) I headed for the middle pole. But there was this woman who was already there, and she had literally wrapped herself around the pole. I'm not kidding. She had one around snaked around it and her head leaning on to the pole. She wasn't short or thin either. So I had to grab onto the pole with the limited space that was available.. above her head.

So here I was.. Arm perpendicularly stretched out to hang on to the pole and with the other hand holding my bag and laptop. About 10 minutes in I decided to let go to get some blood back into my hand. But it only lasted 5 seconds or so as I nearly toppled onto the person next to me.

She even looked at me once. Looked up at my arm above her head. But didn't even move... and continued to 'hug the pole'.

Who did she think she was ?! Pole dancer or something ???!?!

I reckon this should fall under the same Train Etiquette category as like the "Giving up your seat to the elderly" rule.

Some people are just rude.

No comments: