Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Gamers

This article I read kind of made me reflect on a few things.

One thing in particular would the thing I used to do the most, and the one thing that I am seriously missing at the moment - Online Gaming.

In most relationships the guy is the full time gamer and the girlfriend suffers (or is usually pissed off) because not enough time is spent together in the relationship.

But in my relationship - I am the gamer.

Although, I have to admit, I have cut down on alot, in terms of the time in hours I spend playing games. I no longer play two online games. I just play World of Warcraft (WoW).

I decided to give up on LineageII and gave my account to my friend's girlfriend (whom he somehow managed to convince to play). No idea how he did it, but boy would I like to be his girlfriend for one day - on second thoughts .. maybe not.

Out of a possible of 75 levels in a player's character life, my mystic priest character had reached level 70. Which made it kind of difficult to let go - it was actually becoming like my 'mini me'.

LineageII is rather a full time game. I had my own group of gaming friends (who happen to be my friends in real life) and a group of online friends (who now exist on my msn list). I also was pretty high up in my own Guild which one of my close friends started. To this day, I believe he is still stuck on LineageII, I'm not sure because I haven't seen him for about 6 months now.

But it was still extremely hard to give up.

Before I stopped playing, I would spend atleast 4 hrs after I got home from work playing LineageII. I also managed to stop going to nightclubs and drinking sessions and stay at home to play LineageII instead. Which all turned out quite well for my wallet and liver. But I was slowly becoming a gaming freak. It was only when my close friends started not to ask me out for dinner parties and other outings (because I was fast becoming a habitual no-show) that I realised I had a problem. I was addicted to my online game.

And now that I am in a full time relationship, gaming has become a bit of a luxury. I only get to play on the weekends and sometimes not even then. If I'm lucky, then I'll be able to sneak a couple of hours in after I get home from work.

This morning I woke up at 6am. Somehow my body clock thought it was 7am. With just a moment of hesitance (thinking... should I go back to sleep?!) I sat up, grab my mouse and keyboard and logged onto Warcraft.

Only to realise all the realms were offline due to server maintenance ..... dammit !

GGrrr.... and No... I didn't manage to go back to sleep. :(

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to have this problem with WOW as well, but managed to quit. It was a sudden decision - after UBRS and I lagged so much that I couldn't roll on blood of the General. Those days it only dropped one per raid.

Not that I'm spending those spare hours any better.

takumi said...

Quest...i'm still playing WoW .. :) but its taken 3 months for my Druid to get to lvl 27 (depressing).

I still miss playing Lineage2 though.

mon1ca said...

Good that I haven't started... :)
Btw, I'm getting ADSL2+ tomorrow! Yeahhh!!!!