Saturday, March 04, 2006

IT Support

Another Friday past marks the end to another working week. Only for me it's not really the end of the working week yet.

Because it's my turn to go On-call.

A big part of my job is to be On-call once every three weeks. Although it's not really as bad as it sounds. Because we only usually get called if some critical application or database dies.

It is still probably the worst part of my job. But if I wanted a strictly 9 - 5 job, then I wouldn't have stayed in I.T.

As I couldn't go drinking last night, I decided called it quits and hit the bed around 11pm.

My phone started ringing around midnight. As I picked up my phone I recognised the number and knew it was going to be a support call.

I starred in disbelief at my phone for about 3 seconds.

I debated in my mind for another 3 seconds on what could be so important at 12.30am in the morning. Then fell back into bed and let the phone ring out underneath my pillow.

I decided if it was really that important, the idiot calling would try calling again.

5 mins past and still nothing.

I put my phone on silent mode and tried to get back to sleep

Being woken up once in the middle of the night is bad enough. I didn't want to be woken up again.

It would actually be good if the idiot who called up makes a fuss on Monday to my manager. As I'll like to hear what was so important at 12.30am in the morning that they needed to call someone to get it fixed immediately.

No comments: