Monday, October 23, 2006

Vegemite

We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch, and tea.
Our mother says we're growing
stronger every single week.
Because we love our Vegemite.
We all adore our Vegemite.
It puts a rose in every cheek!

Vegemite. The Great Aussie Icon.... Has now been banned in the US. And as this newpaper reports, "To the point of searching Australians for jars of the spread when they enter the country".

Isn't that a bit..errm.. silly ?! I mean I know Vegemite is something either you love or hate, but why would anyone want to ban it ? According to the report, it turns out it is due to a technicality. (I don't understand either...read the article to find out more).

As a kid I used to hate vegemite. Well, I disliked anything that didn't taste like it was super-saturated in sugar syrup. But I too have gradually learn to enjoy my vegemite & butter on toast.

Too bad the people in the U.S. won't know what they are missing out on anymore.

No comments: